Wednesday 4 June 2003

If one ever needs any reason to understand why there are millions in this world who still listen to Ghazals, here are some of them:

1.

Ranjish hee sahee, dil hee dukhaane ke liye aa...

aa phir se mujhe chhod ke jaane ke liye aa....

Oh darling! If you are upset, at least come to admonish me. If only to leave me again, you must come to meet me.

2.

Maikade band karen lakh zamaane waale..

shehar mein kam nahi aankhon se pilaane waale.

The world might close all the wine-bars.. but there is nostopping me from getting intoxicated by the sheer beauty ofa woman's eyes.

3.

Tere pyaar ne mujhe gham diyaa, tere gham ke umra daraaz ho...

Voh zamaana aaye khuda kare, mere pyaar par tujhe naaz ho ...

I have suffered in your love, may you equally suffer too. May Godmake you understand the importance of my love one day.

Try as I might to maintain the emotions of these "Sher"s in the English translation, they can never match the sheer beauty of the original language.

No comments:

Post a Comment