Sunday 28 September 2003

Its nice to get in touch with one's roots, in touch with one's history, traditions, culture. I always hear my parents with interest when they narrate stories of their childhoold; what were the restrictions on them, what was the social outlook then, how did they get around them and lots of stories that reflect a lot about the kind of family background I hail from. Far more interesting are the stories that I get to hear from my grandparents; how life was back then in villages, how they managed to get around problems (mostly financial), what, if any, great deeds did any of my family members commit? It is wonderful to hear about their lives, the hardships they had to face to come where they are now; a position where they could provide their children a life far more comfortable than what they had to experience. It is inspiring!

Also wonderful are the old songs that my grandfather would sing for my father, the devotional hymns that my grandmother taught my mother and which were passed on to me partially. I still feel exhilarated to hear my grand dad's voice on the tape recorder. Hearing him sing, I realize how far back do the singing genes in me go. I would feel blessed if I could sing half as well as he did. Some of those songs have carved a permanent place in my heart and can never be obliterated till the end of my life. I wish I would be able to imbibe much of the great culture that I belong to and be able to pass it onto the future generations for them to treasure it.

No comments:

Post a Comment