Thursday 26 May 2005

Arranged Love?

Well, I am not exactly saying that my time is running out, but if things continue in the same vein for some more time, facing such a crisis may become a reality that I will have to face. By my own admission, I am a person, while appearing passive to the concept of love on most occasions, a romantic soul seeking love. So far the story has only been sad for me with the objects of my love either not appreciating my feelings or not reciprocating accordingly. With my grandmother all excited with eagerness to see me in marital bliss, I am now wondering if I too will have to rely on the efforts of my parents to find me a suitable girl. If that is so, I wonder if I will ever be able to do justice to the relationship! The awkwardness that I perceive between such a couple, at least in the early days of their togetherness, is enough to pull the rug under all the bliss that one hopes to experience. Not that I am one in the league of hunks or those able-bodied specimen that appear in television commercials going about in their nonchalant manner riding bikes and charming women at the same time. Neither girls are as dumb as they were traditionally supposed to be in the ancient world dominated by chauvinist males who thought themselves to be worthy of more than one sample of the opposite sex at any point of time. If anything, it is exactly the other way around these days, the situation made more precarious by dwindling sex ratios and generously assisted by those too-keen-to-kill-female-foetuses parents. It is interesting to know if they ever wonder if everyone goes about killing female foetuses like this then how are they going to find a bride for their dear son unless they have already presaged about his sexual orientation in the opposite direction. Thankfully the situation is not so extreme and there are, I hope, girls available for the bachelors of my generation, at least for a bachelor with a post-graduate degree in computer science and engineering and a job that pays him a handful. This is the hope that resides in my heart when I am in my usual rounds at the Forum Mall looking hither and thither for the young and the beautiful, the and being used in the inclusive sense in this case. A hope that one day one of these would find time and an occasion to lift their eyes off the hunk whose arm happens to be around their shoulders and throw a glance, even if cursory, towards me and recognize the romantic heart that beats inside, and for once, realize that beauty and sex-appeal can also be found in a dark skin, balding head, and bulging waistline. Until then it will be a race between me and my grandmother. Yes, I wait for the day when love will find its way into my life along with a girl. One only hopes that it is not led into; led by my grandmother, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment