Saturday 23 May 2009

HRC and a new world

Day before yesterday I had the good fortune of visiting Hard Rock Cafe at Lower Parel, Mumbai (Some people say it’s in Prabhadevi, but that’s a completely different story). What I witnessed was simply amazing. Loud Rock Music, some very beautiful people (you could repeat “very beautiful” a few more times) hustling and bustling about the entire place, all kinds of liquids being passed around, and large TV screens playing the IPL match. The last bit is of the greatest interest to me – nothing is better than sitting with a drink (Fresh Lime Soda – sweet & salt) in hand surrounded by gorgeous women and watching an electrifying cricket match.

What I observed is how alien I felt in the place. Sure, the place was full of Indians yet there was not much that I could identify with the crowd. One, the people seemed to be really affluent, really good-looking, seemed to be anglicized, not just in speech but in appearance and demeanour too, shared a common interest in liquor and rock music (why else would one go to HRC in the first place).

If a European or an American found himself in there that night, he would’ve felt at home instantly. I could as well have replaced the whole bunch with the characters of Archie Comics and it wouldn’t have changed a thing! The only saving grace was the plate of “potato skins” deep fried in oil, something I hope was indianized to cater to our palate.

Would I go there? Yes, of course. Didn’t you read the “very beautiful people” part?

1 comment:

  1. The potato skin is of the american origin too (well if you can call anything of american origin) they have some bacon filled potato skins that has cheese and bacon. I guess that was modified a little bit.

    ReplyDelete