Thursday 21 May 2009

A new beginning once again

A new place, a new job, a new house, a new city - I almost don't want to do all that again. It happened 5 years ago in Bengalooru when I moved to the city for the first time with just a couple of suitcases.

I spent close to three years in the city slowing building up my "household" with a few worldly possessions until I had to move to the glorious city of Ahmedabad. I gave away some of my stuff, my telephone connection, my gas connection etc. and placed myself snugly in the comforts of a student life.

Now I am back to the square one with a couple of suitcases in tow. The process has to begin all over again. What is perhaps different this time is that I already have an AC, cable and gas connection with the house deal. But I still have to mop and clean my house, wash my clothes, make my own tea etc. At least until I find a maid-servant or she finds me.

There is no water at home and I drink all the water I need in the office before I go home. This coming weekend I will have to fix all those plugs that exist in my new setup. It is, I tell you, Boooooooorrrrrrring! I hate it, but I understand that in order to lead my life in some comfort, I will have to do it again.

I really pity all the government servants who get transferred ever so often. It must truly deeply painful to dismantle and reorganize one's entire household every 2-3 years. The strangest bit is that I never realized it when I was a child and we were moving around the country (both my parents worked in PSU)!

Ah well, such is life!

endnote: While in Bengalooru, I had desisted from purchasing kitchen stuff until my grandmother decided to visit me. This development compelled me to spend Rs. 7000 and equip my kitchen with every conceivable instrument that might be required by my grandmother during her cooking. The entire set is now going to be sent to me by my Mother. It means "washing utensils" will get added to my list of household chores. :-(

2 comments: